Happy 80th Birthday, Bob Dylan

What can I say? I've been listening to Dylan for most of my life (at least 55 of my almost 70 years). The only time I saw him in concert was when he was in his "Slow Train Coming" period, which included some good songs ("Serve Somebody") and a great band, but no dipping into the catalogue. But his songs have been part of my personal soundtrack across radio, vinyl, cassettes, CDs, downloads and streaming, from specific albums ("Highway 61 Revisited," "Blood on the Tracks," "Triplicate") to collections ("Biograph," "The Essential," the latter of which I am playing this morning). I have "Tarantula," which I quoted in my college-graduation bio (which was otherwise quite terrible), and "Chronicles." There are so many songs I love. Even when the covers are great, I find more to hold to in Dylan's versions. Some songs (with a few more added since I first posted the list, because there is so much great Bob): "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest," "Ballad of a Thin Man," "Brownsville Girl," "Dear Landlord," "Desolation Row," "Everything Is Broken," "Forever Young," "Girl From the North Country," "Gotta Serve Somebody," "Highway 61 Revisited," "Hurricane," "I Shall Be Released,""If Not for You," "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," "Isis," "Just Like a Woman," "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," "Lay Lady Lay," "Like A Rolling Stone," "Make You Feel My Love," "New Morning," "Not Dark Yet," "Once Upon a Time," "Positively 4th Street," "Shelter From the Storm,""Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Sweetheart Like You," "Tangled Up in Blue," "Things Have Changed."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Mission: Impossible -- Fallout"

Winter reading

TV watching, so much TV watching